Hudson Happenings

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Good-bye and I love you Grandma

Some of you had the honor of meeting my wonderful Grandma Carla. She had such a zest and zeal for life as evidenced by her constant smile and twinkle in her eyes. Grandma channeled that love of life into her swimming and dancing, her two biggest hobbies. Adorned with a swim cap and goggles, Grandma was all game to join us in the water for our surf wedding. This woman had so much patience with all the grand and great-grand kids. One of her claims-to-fame with us was that she taught all of us how to swim! Jahmia learned how to roll down a grassy hill, thanks to Great-Grandma Carla. As a little girl, she would take me to the convalescent homes where she worked as a movement therapist. What could be better than playing with balloons, parachutes and dancing! As a young adult, she allowed me to live with her while I transitioned from a move from OR to CA. She was fun. Because of her influence, love and encouragement, I choose to become a Nurse. Now 3/4 of the way done, I cannot believe she will not be there to see me graduate next June.

Life is not controlled by us. I'm shocked by her death. Yet happy that I was able to talk with her last Sunday (12/7). We talked about life and bringing each other up-to-date with what the current events. She was more than thrilled that the pool was open all winter this year. At 85 she swam almost daily! Every Sunday she attended the Friends Meeting House in Berkley, which she loved. I was able to thank her for all the times she took me to her work, to her dance classes, and for influencing me to become a Nurse. I got to hear her tell me how proud she was of me and how much she loved me. As we were saying our good-byes I told her that I loved her too, not knowing that it would be the last time. Saying good-bye and I love you, never felt so final before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home